Locomotive workshop (Insein) is the first built locomotive workshop in (1875) in history of Myanma Railways. The location is in Insein Township, Yangon Region and has a total area of (23.1) acre. The area becomes (26.78) acre as oxygen gas shop have been expanded.
- At first, the workshop had only five shops including Foundry shop, Machine shop, Millwright shop, Blacksmith shop, Fitting shop but there are ten shops established during 1928 to 1930. In World War II, some infrastructure and equipment were destroyed by bombs. After the war, “SinMaLar” project was planned in India during rehabilitation period to supplement necessary machinery equipment and rebuilt the workshop including (11) shops with (1600) labors in 1945.
- Locomotive spare parts used before War was ordered from Britain. Since post-war period, spare parts for steam locomotives have been manufactured up to (2000) items and only essential spare parts have been ordered from Britain.
- Myanma Railways processed transportation works with (365) steam locomotive in pre-war era and will continue the works of refurbishing and manufacturing steam locomotive and carriages in future. As Myitnge workshop was built in 1911, repairing and construction of carriages were moved and processed there. (297) steam locomotives were used in 1958.
- Six diesel locomotives were purchased from French company in (1958) in order to process effective and fast transportation, to save the cost of fuel for steam locomotives, and to replace the expired ones. Those diesel locomotives were started operating in Yangon-Mandalay Line from 4.1.1958.
- As new diesel locomotives were purchased and supplemented to replace the old ones, MR owns (262) electronic diesel locomotives, (136) diesel hydraulic locomotives, altogether (399) locomotives nowadays.